Obstetrics Education Classes
Brookings Health System offers a variety of classes for healthy pregnancy, safe birth, parenting skills, and assistance with breastfeeding.
Check out our events and upcoming classes calendar for dates, times, location and registration information. Registration can be completed either online or by calling 605-696-9000, ext. 8052.
Childbirth Preparation Class
These classes are held for two hours during a six-week session and include information about childbirth preparation (stages of labor, pain management techniques, and information on what to expect during delivery), baby care basics and a tour of the New Beginings Birth Center. Cost: FREE
This class is taught a certified lactation consultant.
Class objectives include:
- Steps for successful breastfeeding
- Feeding cues of baby
- Benefits and physiology of breastfeeding
- Nipple assessment
- Importance of diet, nutrition, exercise, and sleep
- Tips for working mothers
- When to use a breast pump
- Possible hurdles to breastfeeding, such as engorgement, plugged ducts, sore nipples and mastitis.
Tour of the New Beginnings Birth Center
This tour can be scheduled for any day of the week. Preregistration is required. To register, please call 605-696-9000, ext. 8052. Cost: FREE