FAQs about Medicare and Medicaid
- How much will Medicare and Medicaid pay?
Brookings Health System accepts Medicare Assignment Inpatient Stay. Medicare pays all but the Inpatient Deductible. For Outpatient Services, Medicare pays all but co-insurance and the deductible. Outpatient medications in the observation bed are not covered by Medicare.
- Why do I have to give you information about other insurance if I have Medicare coverage?
If any other insurance is primary over Medicare, we must file other insurance (including liability insurance) before Medicare will pay on your claim.
- I have health insurance in addition to Medicare coverage. Will you bill that insurance company also?
Yes. Once we receive Medicare’s payment, the balance will be sent to your supplemental insurance company.
- What is the Medicare Explanation of Benefits form?
The Medicare Explanation of Benefits form is a statement from Medicare showing what you were charged for a service, what Medicare paid, and the amount due from you or your supplemental insurance company.
- What is the difference between Part A and Part B?
Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital stay, limited skilled nursing home care, and hospice care. Medicare Part B covers physician services and most hospital outpatient services.
- What should I do with the Explanation of Benefits forms?
The Medicare Explanation of Benefits is for your information. The hospital receives an Explanation of Benefits that we forward on to your supplemental insurance company for you.
- Should I pay the balance that is listed as “your total responsibility” on the Explanation of Benefits form?
We will bill you for any balance after we have received payment from Medicare and your supplemental insurance.
- Will I have to pay any money for my hospital visits?
That will depend on what Medicare covers and what kind of Medicare supplemental insurance policy you have.
Find information on the Medicare Quick Reference on Preventive Services HERE.