Brookings Health System’s care team has the privilege of caring for our friends and neighbors, adding a personal touch and hometown feel in everything we do. Our wonderful, highly-skilled staff is passionate about our patients and residents and the care they receive. Our goal is to make a difference in lives of the people within our community.
While in our facilities, your healthcare team may include:
- Your Doctor: every patient has an attending physician who heads your medical team and oversees all aspects of your care. Your attending physician may ask one or more additional doctors to provide specialized care in a certain area of practice or expertise.
- Nurses: 24-hour nursing care is provided by a team of professional registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and nurse assistants. A clinical care coordinator or a nurse manager is responsible for directing and coordinating nursing care in each care area.
- Registered Radiologic Technologists & Ultrasonographers: while at our facility, your physician may order imaging services to further treat and aid your recovery. These are performed by highly-skilled radiologic technologists and ultrasonographers who perform diagnostic imaging examinations like x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, and ultrasounds.
- Certified Laboratory Technologists: Clinical laboratory testing may be required to help your doctor diagnose and treat you properly. Blood draws and tests are performed by our certified laboratory technologists who will provide a report to your doctor.
- Respiratory Therapists: respiratory therapists manage your lungs and airways. Lung testing, breathing treatments and managing ventilators are examples of care a therapist may provide to you.
- Dietitian: our friendly dietitian ensures that your diet meets your nutritional needs. If you are unable to take adequate nutrients by mouth, your dietitian collaborates with your physician to provide nutrition by a feeding tube or intravenous solution. You may request a visit by our dietitian if you have any questions or concerns about a health diet during your stay with us or at home.
- Case Managers: our case managers assist you throughout your stay to ensure all available resources are coordinated toward your care. They may talk with you about arrangements you have made in preparation for your discharge and additional services that may be needed to ensure your continued care. Those additional services may include:
- Referral to therapies
- Easing transitions to post-hospital services such as a nursing home, assisted-living, skilled home care, cardiac rehabilitation or hospice
- Arranging for home equipment needs
- Using community resources after a hospital stay, such as Meals on Wheels, homemaking/bathing services, or finding support groups
- Assisting patients who may experience a difficult, stressful life-changing event
- Therapists: our comprehensive therapy services are personalized to individual patient needs. We provide expertise in physical, occupational and speech therapy to help patients recover from injury or illness and continue with their activities of daily living.
- Chaplain: our staff chaplain is available free of charge for spiritual care and pastoral counseling. He is trained to serve people of all faiths or of no spiritual background. Patients may ask any staff member to request a visit from the chaplain.