Brookings Health System Advocates Toy Safety this Holiday Season
Brookings Health System encourages parents, grandparents and others purchasing gifts for children this holiday season to keep toy safety in mind.
Some tips for purchasing a safe toy for a child include:
- Consider the child's age and skill level when buying a toy.
- Inspect the toy for small pieces to prevent choking hazards.
- Avoid toys with strings or cords for young children.
- Avoid toys with electrical plugs or batteries for children younger than eight years old.
- Stay up-to-date on toy product recalls from the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission at http://www.cpsc.gov/.
The best toy injury prevention is to supervise children closely when they play. Further steps that ensure child safety while playing with a toy include:
- Repair or discard damaged toys immediately.
- Do not allow riding toys to be used near stairs, traffic, or swimming pools.
- Encourage children to put toys away after playing.
- Ensure toy chests with lids have safety hinges.
For more information on toy safety, refer to the Consumer Product Safety Commission at http://www.cpsc.gov/.
About Brookings Health System
Brookings Health System, located in Brookings, South Dakota, includes a 49-bed hospital, the 79-bed Brookview Manor nursing home, and Brookhaven Estates apartments. It is a non-profit, city-owned facility that offers the community a full range of inpatient, outpatient, and extended care services. The emergency room is staffed 24 hours a day and provides around the clock medical-nursing care for patient needs ranging from minor injuries to life threatening crises. For more information about the services offered at Brookings Health System, please call (605) 696-9000 or visit us on the Web at brookingshealth.org.